Monday, April 7, 2008

Hazardous Blogging (and the attack of the "G's")

First of all, any word with three "g's" in it should be illegal. It's just torture for the tongue.

But, on with the post.

I was reading a friend's blog this morning and she was writing about how blogging can be hazardous to one's health. Die hard bloggers are literally dying hard. Slumping over the keys as they pound out their personal opinions about all sorts of topics. Heart attacks, obesity, sleep disorders, stress, hand cramping...all dangerous side effects of committed blogging.

Another blogger that I read on a daily basis also, has started writing about her recent breakdown and subsequent healing. She suffered from a sleep disorder and after taking too many ambien, she checked into a hospital for help. She posts daily and when suddenly the words stopped flowing, the outpouring of concerned readers was touching. She is on the road to recovery and writing about it, although not as often as she used to.

The blogger friend this morning that brought this health trend to my attention, and the googling (another 3g word there) that transpired after reading her post, made me start to really contemplate the link between health and blogging. The aforementioned friend has been sick lately, and her blogging slacked off while she was recovering. Her readers waited anxiously (anxiety, stress...see a trend here?) for the next post, and kept themselves entertained with comment banter. It just makes me wonder if there is truly a danger to one's health due to blogging or the lack there of.

I know many people started their blogs to vent, to relieve stress, to express themselves in an open and honest way, or to just let loose and share a few laughs with complete strangers. I started mine for all those reasons. I have been sick, and have blogged. I haven't lost any sleep, though. Heart attacks? Been there, done that. Four times. None of them caused by blogging. Stressed? Well, I do feel a little guilty when a week goes by and I haven't posted, although I am not sure why. I guess it is because I might let down the three readers I have. Sorry about that.
Obesity? Oh you bet! My ass now qualifies as a double wide. Little trucks with flags and "Wide Load" signs follow me where ever I go.

Is it because of blogging? Nah. I have a heart condition that makes it hard for me to exercise or even exert much energy. If anything, this is a great stress reliever for me. Hell, I even crack myself up some of the time. Do I think there are health risks associated with blogging? Absolutely. Actually...I feel a hand cramp coming on right now.

No comments: