Friday, August 29, 2008

There but for the grace of geography...

I saw a Dateline NBC program tonight about children born with disabilities in a country where defective children are considered unmentionable trash. Children that grow into adults all the while never leaving a crib.

I hugged my daughter tightly and thanked our lucky stars that we live in a country where even though she is considered by many to be less that ideal or normal, she is not swept under the rug of embarrassment. Her medical care, and mine for that matter, mean that we get to live relatively normal lives.

Even if she were more severely disabled, I wouldn't love her any less. I am truly thankful that I live in a country where I had the CHOICE of whether to have her...or not. The choice to keep her and raise her.

A lot of people are getting really political all over the place lately with the upcoming elections and conventions and running mate selections. They are blogging about it on a regular basis. Everyone has their opinions. I have mine. They are CHOOSING to share. I am choosing not to. For many reasons.

Just wanted to share what I saw tonight. Just wanted to pass along my feeling of gratitude at living in a free country. Just wanted to acknowledge that though my daughter may be disabled, she is perfect to me.

2 comments:

mama biscuit said...

Amen sista. Having spent 6 years caring for a severely disabled child I can appreciate this post. The thought of her being left to rot in a crip makes my blood run cold.

Feisty Irish Wench said...

Um, as one of those that blogged about the politics...(in my defense I didn't name names or point fingers really)...I absolutely agree with you.



WTH? word verf: aucynog (as in All U Can Yum Nog)